Why swaddle? Advantages of swaddling a baby
Swaddling makes a baby feel like they are back inside the womb — or like they are being snuggled close.
Infants under 2 months of age find swaddling very soothing because it reminds them of the snug feeling of being in the womb. If your baby is fussy, it may calm him down.
How do I swaddle?
- Take the swaddle and lay it on a flat surface.
- Fold down the top corner and place your baby on their back with the neck on the fold so that the baby’s shoulders are just below the fold.
- Hold your baby’s left arm down flat at their side, pull the same side of the swaddle over their left arm and across their body, tucking the fabric under the baby, leaving the right arm free.
- Fold the bottom of the swaddle up and over their right shoulder.
- Hold your baby’s right arm down and wrap the same side of the swaddle over the left side and all the way around the baby’s back, securing the swaddle.
How long can you swaddle for?
Swaddle from 0-8 weeks or before the baby starts to be more active and roll.
Swaddling is only to be done before the baby can roll over or starts trying to roll over.
Keeping safe when swaddling
- Don’t cover the baby’s head, and only use thin materials for swaddling. Click here for our FriendFashion swaddles made of organic cotton.
- Do not put a pacifier in the baby’s mouth while the baby is swaddled.
- Infants must NEVER be placed on their stomach when being swaddled.
- Make sure that whatever you are using to swaddle cannot come loose. Loose fabric and babies is a dangerous combination.